Burglar-Proof Your Home
* Never leave keys in hiding places outside the house.
* Always keep your garage door closed and locked.
* Trim back all bushes under windows.
* Plant prickly, thorny shrubs or bushes under windows to discourage prowlers.
* Bright lights outside around all doors and windows discourage break ins. Install motion triggered lights around corners of the home.
* Install a solid core or metal-clad door fitted with both inside hinge pins and a minimum one-inch throw deadbolt lock.
* Doors with windows require a double key deadbolt.
* Secure garage doors with cane bolts and hasps.
* Install a peep hole in the front door.
* Secure crank windows by drilling a hole through the latch frame and handle, then insert a metal pin or nail through the hole to lock the window in place.
* If you have a keypad garage door, reprogram the code.
* Never leave your garage door opener visible in your car.
* Never let strangers into your home. Never give out your address or phone number to strangers.